Managing your Acne
It’s no secret that magazines and other media outlets use Photoshop to make celebrities and cover models flawless. For most it can hide a multitude of sins, but more often then not the technique is used for hiding acne and acne scarring. Celebrities such as Kim Kardashian, Nicole Richie and Britney Spears have all been airbrushed to within an inch of their life but in truth have been faced with adult acne, a condition that can affect both male and female, all skin types and ages, although generally begins during puberty.
In reality us mere mortals cant hide behind photoshopping so what is the answer? Acne can very from person to person and accordingly so can the treatment. Often a combination of treatments are used together to actively manage your Acne, along with an appropriate homecare regime to enhance and maintain results.
Laser and intense pulsed light (IPL) treatments can provide an effective acne treatment, as well as a permanent solution to acne scarring. IPL treatments utilise a high intensity light source to penetrate through the tissue and destroy acne bacteria quickly and easily. Typically, just 4 -6 treatments over a two month period will greatly improve the appearance of skin as well as evening out skin tone and producing collagen.
AHA peels can be very helpful in treating acne, especially as a part of an overall acne management program. AHA peels work by exfoliating the upper layers of the skin, and removing debris and irritants from the skin. This improves the skin and increases cell turnover. AHA peels also stimulate new collagen formation and improve acne scarring.
Acne scars are most often the product of an inflamed lesion. The greater the inflammation on the skin, the more likely scarring is to occur. Deep breakouts that take a long time to heal also increase the chance of scarring. Medical microneedling is a treatment that safely and effectively treats Acne Scarring. It stimulates the skin, encouraging the production of new collagen and elastin which enables it to regenerate and repair itself.
It is important to combine your treatment with a suitable home skincare plan to enhance and maintain results. The Image Clear Cell line can treat oily problem skin, and non- inflamed acne or inflamed acne. The products are based on salicylic acid to purify and reduce inflammation in the skin. The medicated line also contains benzyl peroxide which will treat infected pustular skin.
Tips for Acne Management
Once you have started your treatment plan and are following a suitable homecare regime there are also a few tips that are important to remember to keep Acne at bay.
- Zinc is one of the best vitamins that you can take for acne, as it helps to reduce the
formation of free radicals under your skin. If you have cystic acne and want to reduce the bumps on your face, try taking a zinc supplement once a day to destroy your acne from the inside out.
- Keep yourself hydrated to help with acne breakouts. Try to drink at least eight glasses of water a day to maintain clear skin. Water flushes out the toxins in your body, which also includes your skin. It will allow your skin to retain the correct amount of moisture and give it a healthier glow.
- Also clean your makeup brushes regularly and throw out all of your old makeup. Old makeup and dirty brushes can add dirt and bacteria to your face that can cause blemishes and blackheads. Anything that touches your face should be fresh and clean.
- Don’t squeeze or pick. It’s important to adopt a strict “hands off” policy when it comes to acne. Picking can lead to more inflammation and permanent scarring.
- As part of your skincare routine try to include salicylic acid. This component destroys the bacteria that you can get during the course of the day, and prevents free radicals from forming. Using a cleanser with salicylic acid can help control your oil level and reduce the chance for severe acne formation.
For more information or to Receive a personal skin analysis and consultation to determine the best treatment plan for you please call us on 01 806 3200.