A thread lift is a minimally invasive cosmetic enhancement technique that lifts sagging skin on the face and neck using surgical suture threads. A thread lift is not a substitute for a facelift but it does provide modest and subtle changes rather than dramatic results.
There is very little downtime, with no visible scar, these are the main advantages of this one hour procedure.
It is common to combine a thread lift with other non-invasive procedures such as anti-wrinkle injections, laser treatments and facial peels that help improve skin texture
Why Choose to have thread lifting?
People choose to have a thread lift to reduce signs of premature ageing, especially sagging skin on the face and neck.
You are a good candidate for the procedure if:
- You are in your 30s, 40s & early 50s. People of 55 and over can be candidates as long as their skin has not become too lax.
- You want to improve your looks by enhancing and highlighting features lost to premature ageing, improving sagging or loose skin on your face and neck.
- The changes you see in your face and not enough for a full face lift.
- You are not expecting dramatic changes, but subtle ones.
What to expect
- A thread lift is classified as a non-invasive treatment and the procedure takes around an hour to complete.
- The thread lift procedure involves making small incisions in key locations, most often along the hairline, and inserting a threaded needle under the skin to anchor both ends to lift and suspend the skin. The nurse/doctor assesses each patient and usually between 4 and 16 threads will be used.
- Thread lifting is a relatively new procedure and Renaissance is the first clinic in Ireland to perform this procedure. There may be some level of discomfort during the treatment. Swelling and bruising around the area is quite common after the procedure. This will gradually subside.
Before the procedure
Before the procedure and you will be asked to stop taking certain types of medications, such as aspirin, which can disrupt the healing process.
After the procedure
After the lift, threads take a few weeks to settle into place and integrate properly with the skin. You will be provided with postoperative instructions that you must follow to the letter to reduce the risk of complications during your period of recovery.
These may include:
- Limiting laughing for the first 24 hours following the procedure, allowing the skin to heal faster.
- Avoid chewing anything during the first 24 hours. You should stick to soft foods and liquids for as much as seven days.
- Keep your head elevated during the first day to reduce swelling.
- It will be safe to resume light activities within a couple of days. You can get back to all normal activities within a week.
- Try to avoid social situations in the first week. It is best if you can stay away from weddings, parties and other intense occasions for about three weeks.
- Avoid facial massages for about three weeks.