Muscle Relaxant Injections (BOTOX®)
The treatment of lines in the forehead, frown and crow’s feet with Muscle Relaxants is one of the most popular treatments at Renaissance. Every time you smile, laugh or frown, you set off a series of contractions in the underlying muscles of your face. As these muscles expand and contract, they crease the skin which can produce an unflattering pattern of wrinkles, worry lines, frown lines, laughter lines and crow’s feet.
Muscle relaxant injections are a quick, safe and simple procedure to smooth out lines and wrinkles, giving a more relaxed and youthful appearance which can last for several months. The procedure is simple to perform and most patients find they can resume their normal activities immediately. The treatment only takes a few minutes and discomfort is minimal.
What areas can be treated?
Muscle Relaxant injections are used to treat lines in the upper part of the face. There are three main areas that can be treated, the first area is just above and between the eyebrows known as the Glabella (Area 1), the second area is the Forehead (Area 2) and the third area is the Crows Feet at the side of the eyes (Area 3).
How does this treatment work?
By reducing the movement of muscles in these areas, the skin stops being creased and is allowed to recover, causing the lines to soften or even fade away. In the areas treated, the muscles are temporarily inactivated, during which time the patient can break the subconscious habit of over- using these muscles.
Post treatment instructions
- Stay upright for 3-4 hours
- Do not massage the area or have a facial for the first 24 hours
- Do not exercise the day of receiving treatment
- Gently work the muscle areas treated by frowning, smiling, gently raising the eyebrows and squinting, in order to help absorb the product faster
- For one week following treatment do not have any of the following treatments: Microdermabrasion, IPL, Electrolysis, Laser treatments or any other electrical beauty treatments
- Allow at least 10 days for the product to take effect.
- In a small number of cases the product may not be effective by day 14. You can then contact the clinic re a top-up and to arrange an appointment.
For more information or to book an appointment with Dr. Caraher please call us on 01 806 3200. Muscle Relaxant injections (BOTOX®) can also be used to treat excessive sweating in the underarms.